Update on Home Learning, Regents exams
Dear Students & Parents,
We hope this letter finds you and your family safe and healthy during these uncertain times. As we move forward through the next few weeks there are a few updates that you should be aware of. First and foremost, our goal is to provide all students with continuity of learning and instruction that is accessible and clearly communicated. Teachers are taking action to develop new instruction through a variety of online and digital resources. We understand that reliable internet is an issue for many families, and paper copies of work can be made available to students. Please contact your child’s teacher if needed. Teachers will be providing virtual "Office Hours" to support our students. Students must check their emails and google classroom(s) on a regular basis. It is imperative that students connect with their teachers and submit all required assignments or assessments to work towards course credit for the year. Teachers, Counselors, and Administration will monitor and maintain student and family connections to ensure that students are working toward fulfilling graduation requirements. We are currently finalizing how grades for marking periods 3 and 4 will be recorded and will be sharing that information with students and parents shortly.
- June Regents Exams and Final Exams- New York state Regents exams have been cancelled for this year. The New York State Education Department has issued the following guidelines pertaining to Regents Examination Exemptions…
What does this mean for our students: in order to qualify for the exemption, students must meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- The student is currently enrolled in a course of study culminating in a Regents Examination and will have earned credit in such course of study by the end of the 2019-20 school year;
- The student is currently enrolled in a course of study culminating in a Regents Examination and has failed to earn credit by the end of the school year. Such student returns for summer instruction to make up the failed course credit and is subsequently granted diploma credit in August 2020; or
- The student was previously enrolled in the course of study leading to an applicable Regents Examination, has achieved course credit, and has not yet passed the associated Regents Examination but was intending to take the test in June 2020 to achieve a passing score
- College Now Courses -All students taking College Now courses through Herkimer have to complete coursework online in accordance with the college's requirements to receive college credit.
- Graduation Requirements for seniors – Seniors must pass all remaining classes as required for graduation.
We encourage all students and families to check the Owen D. Young district website https://www.odyoungcsd.org/ and district facebook page for important updates. Please contact us with any questions or concerns.
Superintendent of Schools